Thursday, November 22, 2007

You've got a friend in me.


Well, there it is - it's official. A ground-breaking UCLA study has demonstrated that friendships between women are good for our health.

"...friendships between women are special. They shape who we are and who we are yet to be. They soothe our tumultuous inner world, fill the emotional gaps in our marriage, and help us remember who we really are. By the way, they may do even more.

Scientists now suspect that hanging out with our friends can actually counteract the kind of stomach-quivering stress most of us experience on a daily basis." (An alternative to fight or flight ©2002 Gale Berkowitz)

So now you know - better than sex, alcohol or Xanax, your girlfriends may be the very best medicine you can have.

And I'm sure that many of the beneficial effects demonstrated by the study are generated by the friendships we develop here online, and could explain why they feel so important to us.

Though we may never meet, we can respond, encourage and nurture each other. Our hugs may be digital, but our caring transcends distance to buoy and heal each other's souls in times of need.

4 comments:

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

It took me the better part of my life to realize that girls are not as annoying as I thought they were. ;-)

The meme's FINALLy up! ;-)

Tagged Like Gangbusters

Happy Thanksgiving!

ruddygood said...

Yep, I've loved and lost a few along the way (usually for the sake of the man in my life - oldest story in the world).

It took a bout of rural isolation for me to realise how crucial my women friends are to my well-being.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the rural isolation.
As adults too, it's hard to go out there and make new girlfriends.(actually, it was always hard)

I have loved and lost too. They seem to wander in and out of my life through the years.
Great post!
PS Will get Dave to play with my blog tonight, hopefully it won't jam up for you soon.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

this is brilliant ... some of my bestest friends are now internet ones- a few of whom I have met IRL.

Tiff - she is keeper.

My husband fails to understand my love of the computer and blogging/forums - it is the best medicine of all. Yes emotional gaps in marriage/ life and friendships that have been lost by the wayside.

I got a great email the other day about girlfriends - I will have to blog it.

ps I met another 'mountainmomma' to night ...

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Blog Background is Texture With Filigree by Cindy - Queen Bee Baking Company

Back to TOP