Saturday, November 10, 2007

One for the road

The Big Feller is going away for a couple of week's work tomorrow, heading off on a 10 hour drive first thing in the morning. So, naturally, the wee man and I have to provide some necessary sustenance for that long drive, and a little taste of home. We'll make this very-moreish and incredibly easy chocolate slice, which I downloaded from the Taste website and comes from the April 2005 edition of Fresh Living. I can see all sorts of ways this can be enhanced (spices like cardamom and cinnamon, sultanas, roughly chopped macadamias or walnuts), but the boys like it just as it is so I haven't got around to experimenting with it yet.


Chocolate & Coconut Slice
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes 24 pieces

Ingredients:
3 wholewheat breakfast biscuits (eg VitaBrits)
1 cup (85g) dessicated coconut (I use shredded coconut)
1/2 cup (120g) caster sugar
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa
150g butter (I use Nuttelex margarine, dairy-free)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups icing mixture
Extra 1 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp hot water

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 16 by 26 cm baking pan and line with baking paper.
2. Break up biscuits into large bowl, add coconut and sugar. Sift over flour and cocoa and stir.
3. Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat, pour over dry ingredients, add vanilla and mix well.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared pan and press down to level. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked.
5. Sift icing sugar mixture and cocoa into a bowl, add hot water and stir well. Ice slice while still hot.
6. Allow to cool in pan, then remove and cut into squares to serve.




Ps. One of my regular readers let me know she was having difficulty publishing comments here without a Google account. I've changed my settings now, so that shouldn't be a problem, but if anyone else is having similar problems let me know (as she did) through my BUMPzee account (see sidebar). I was feeling a bit lonely here the last few days, so hopefully it was only a technical problem *grins*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing testing 123!
LOL!

Yummy, when can we come for afternoon tea?

ruddygood said...

Yeehah! Coming through loud and clear... ;-)

Anytime!...you think that looks good, you should try my Molasses Sparkle Cookies or my Cranberry and White Choc Cupcakes?! (Guess I'd better post those recipes, hehe?)

Anonymous said...

LOL, good to know I can comment because you've been tagged for the 7 random things meme! Have fun.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Blog Background is Texture With Filigree by Cindy - Queen Bee Baking Company

Back to TOP