Monday, November 12, 2007

Embracing the community ethos

Well, I'm starting to feel at home now. The world of blogging has offered me a warm smile and a cheery "Hello", and invited me in for a cuppa. What is she blathering on about? you wonder (I often do!)...I've participated in a couple of blogging carnivals over the last few days and been tagged for a meme!

So, if you've dropped in from the All Women Blogging Carnival hosted by Red Sultana, or stumbled in from the Carnival of Australia, beautifully set out by Martin at SmallOfficeAustralia, welcome! And if you're a regular visitor here, you'll find some great posts at both Carnivals - pop over and have a look, and support Aussie and/or women bloggers!?! ;P

Goodness knows the meme (7 random or weird facts about me) is going to test my resources, both in coming up with enough quirky/interesting/random answers, and enough bloggers (7) I have to the temerity to tag in return, but it still gives me the warm fuzzies...thank you, Tiff (of Three Ring Circus), for the tag and extending the hand of friendship. :)

So, here's the meme rules:

Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.

Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself.

Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.

Let each person know that they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

And here's 7 random or weird facts about me:

1. I picked up the phrase "the wee man" from my Tasmanian aunt, and I hear in it the resonances of our Scottish and English heritage.

2. At the age of 15, my best friend and I chucked aside the 2 litre bottle of Coke we'd bought as mixer, and took turns chugging down the 750ml bottle of Bundaberg Rum refused by our 3 other friends. Five minutes later, we were raging away in the local Town Hall at an All School's function - 1/2 hour later, and my best friend was driving the porcelain bus while I was dancing on the tables!? And they worry about youth binge drinking today? This sort of thing is the reason why my kidneys, liver and I have decided that we're pretty uninterested in alcohol these days... (Ps. My best friend still drinks rum.)

3. I was "re-named" by the guru Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (later known as Osho) at a ceremony in Poona, India when I was 8 years old. He named me Ma Prem Bindu, which apparently means "drop of love". Funnily enough, the name stuck when I came to live with my Dad, was sort of a pet name used only at home, and many of his friends still remember me as Bindu all these years later.

4. I have lived in every capital city in Australia except the nation's capital, Canberra, which I have still never set foot in. (Nothing personal, folks, just hasn't been high on my "things to do" list.)

5. I don't drive. To be exact, I have had a learner's permit on and off over the last 15 years or so since returning from OS, but have never been for a driving test. I'm not incredibly confident, but I don't really know why I haven't got around to it...I'm putting it down to a bad past-life-experience (lol!). I've owned 4 cars in that time - own one right now, actually. I used to drive my lovely old Peugeot around Brisbane by myself (shhhh...), but haven't driven in a few years now and my last permit has expired. Bugger - now in NSW I have to do an incredibly long logbook process before applying for my test, so it just may never happen. (Don't tell the Big Feller I said that... ;-) )

6. I usually read 3, 4, 5 or more books at the same time (and let's not mention the magazines, okay?). They sit by the bed, by my favourite chair, on my desk, waiting for me to pick one up depending on mood and the amount of time available. These days, it's a mixture of fiction and non-fiction - a bit of chick lit, science fiction or fantasy, travel and memoirs, books on parenting or digital scrapping or food or...

7. I would love to go on Australian Idol...but I can't sing to save my life (unless you count passion and enthusiasm)!

Now, for the seriously hard part...tagging the bloggers! Thank heavens for NabloPoMo, which has allowed me to "meet" some more great bloggers.

So, I have to start with Red Dirt Mummy - spill the dirt, rdm! :)

Cecily, at happy chatter

Trish, over at Light. Sweet. Crude.

Ginny from Really Ginny

Lotus from Sarcastic Mom

Motherscribe

and finally, fiddlemama. Good luck, all...or forgive me! :)

PS. The wee man giving his Daddy a farewell hug yesterday...doesn't it make you just melt?

8 comments:

Tara said...

Oh the curls! You're killing me with the curls. He is so gorgeous. :-)

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

Thanks for the tag! Don't be bummed if you don't see the response right away... I will NOT forget. It's saved in my drafts, and I will pull it out on a "rainy day." ;-)

Your Wee Man is ADORABLE.

And #2? Great story!

JCK said...

He is just...luscious, this little boy with the curls.

Thanks so much for the Meme. I will get it up sometime soon. Stay tuned. And it has been great to "meet" you through NABLOPOMO!

Enjoyed your 7 random things. Man, after that rum fest...you're lucky you're still walking, let alone dancing on tables. :)

ruddygood said...

Thanks, all, for taking up the challenge - looking forward to reading your personal weirdnesses and acts of insanity (lol!)... (yeah, JCK, I'm VERY lucky, and let me tell you, that was not a random act of madness. Lucky I've still got the one brain cell left...ha)

Oh, yes, the curls...I'm in love with them too, and luckily he likes them, so I'm putting off the inevitable day of first hair-cut - he's only ever had his fringe trimmed. We've got another hot summer in front of us, though...?!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow, you are so interesting Ma Prem Bindu. Drop of love? I LOVE THAT.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for tagging me! I just posted a rather lame meme before I visited your page - wish I had visited here first! I'll try and get this done before NaBloPoMo is over!

Anonymous said...

Loved learning all about your seven things! Your wee man is gorgeous.

cecily said...

Thanks for the tag :) I shall do it in a couple of days I reckon... might take that long to think of 7 weird things!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Blog Background is Texture With Filigree by Cindy - Queen Bee Baking Company

Back to TOP