Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy birthday, Dad



This photo was taken exactly ten years ago this Easter. Sixteen months later, he was dead. Today was his 62nd birthday.

On so many days, in so many ways, I miss him.

Not least when I look at the wee man, who was named for him, and whose uncompromising character and steel-trap mind daily remind me of the grandfather he'll never meet. Except in dreams - the wee man tells me stories about him sometimes, and I'm inclined to believe him.

They would have been good together - it shits me that I can only imagine it.



I love you, and I miss you. Happy birthday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry he isn't here to celebrate his 62nd Birthday. That picture is lovely - he looked like quite a character. :)

ruddygood said...

Thanks, Katie - he was. Sharp as a tack in intelligence and humour, I am indebted to him for the gift of trust and respect he gave me as a teenager (in his role as a single father).

He was interested in so much, and never stopped learning, and inspiring others to do the same.

He left a very big hole in my life.

Unknown said...

Love is forever though. You keep him alive through your love.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

hugs - I agree with Joh - keep him alive with your love and share him with the wee man.
Happy Birthday to your Dad.
Yes, I agree with you too. It sh*ts me that my boys won't meet my dad he died too young too.

ruddygood said...

Thanks. lovely peeps, hugs gratefully received and returned... :)

I'm not always angry about it (got over that a few years ago, or so I thought), and I am very conscious of keeping his memory alive, for myself, my family and especially my little man.

One day, I'll do a longer post about him, just to share and preserve a few more memories...

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Blog Background is Texture With Filigree by Cindy - Queen Bee Baking Company

Back to TOP